Service-learning in Indonesia: The benefits of developing students’ characters in higher education

Luisa Diana Handoyo, Paidi Suparno, Paulus Suparno

Abstract

This study provides an overview of the application of service-learning for the development of students’ character. There are three aspects to be analyzed in this research, i.e. procedures to apply service-learning, procedures to select service-learning participants, and benefits of service-learning to the development students’ character.  A qualitative approach is used to review journal articles regarding the implementation of service-learning in Indonesia. In the current study, 15 research studies were found to meet the particular criteria. Results suggest that a service-learning program in higher education in Indonesia involves the procedures of implementation, procedures to select participants, and benefits to the development of students’ character. Service-learning was generally integrated into lectures with non-live-in procedures (60%), while the remainder (40%) applied live-in procedures. The majority of the service-learning participants (86.67%) were selected to participate because they attended the course that implemented service learning. In relation to the benefits of service-learning, it can be concluded that service-learning can develop students’ social care, communication skills, responsibility, creativity, hard work, discipline, and tolerance.

Keywords

Service-learning, character, social care, communicative, responsibility

Full Text:

PDF

DOI: https://doi.org/10.26220/aca.3444

View Counter: Abstract | 162 | times, and PDF | 177 | times



ACADEMIA | eISSN: 2241-1402 | Higher Education Policy Network

Pasithee | Library & Information Center | University of Patras